Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Staci Hix-Hernandez MD is a tummy tuck & body contouring specialist.
An Abdominoplasty or “Tummy Tuck” is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures at Beleza MedSpa, and can help to restore what time, gravity, children and weight changes may have taken away.
Let’s face it, we all want a flat stomach. Eating right and exercising are extremely important if you want a flat stomach, but despite hours spent at the gym and plenty of time spent dieting, sometimes that midsection bulge and loose skin refuses to go anywhere. Maybe you’ve even tried things like the tummy tuck belt with no success.
Tummy Tuck Surgery works on three levels: Removal of excess skin and stretch marks, Removal of Excess Fat and Repair of the abdominal muscles that have been stretched from pregnancy or weight gain/loss.
• An Abdominoplasty or full Tummy Tuck is the standard procedure most people have done. Significant amounts of excess skin and fat can be removed, along with repair of the muscle layer of the abdomen.
• A Mini-Tummy Tuck is for relatively, thinner patients who have primarily loose abdominal muscles and a small amount of lower abdominal fat. Only a small percentage of patients are candidates. Liposuction is performed on the abdomen and the abdominal muscles, usually from the belly button down are tightened and a smaller amount of skin is removed.
• A Lipo-Tummy Tuck, or Lipo-Abdominoplasty is a combination procedure where some liposuction is done, along with a slightly lesser degree of muscle tightening and can be performed on heavier patients.
Yes! This is great time to take care of those other things that are bothering you. Most patients can have additional procedures such as breast rejuvenation, facial rejuvenation or liposuction during the same procedure. Check out the Mommy Makeover.
• Patients with excess hanging skin, especially with a fold of skin on the lower abdomen when standing.
• Significant amounts of stretch marks
• Abdominal muscles which are loose and allow the abdomen to “bulge” when relaxed.
• Patients who have realistic expectations and are in good health.
• Patients in otherwise poor health – poorly controlled diabetes or uncontrolled high blood pressure for example.
• Patients who are severely overweight.
• Women planning on having children in the next 2-5 years.Patients who smoke and are unwilling to quit.
• Plan on having someone stay with you full-time after the procedure for the first few days.
• You’ll feel most comfortable in a “recliner” position – back reclined and knees bent.
• Have extra dressings, baby wipes, and loose clothing available.
• You’ll meet with our doctors, anesthesia staff and nurses to answer any remaining questions and help prepare you for the procedure.
• During the surgery you’ll be given an anesthetic and will be completely asleep and pain-free.
• The surgery itself can take an hour to two hours depending on the patient.When you wake up you’ll be in the recovery area and will have a tight elastic garment around your waist and a small drain tube.
• We want you to rest at home for the first few days, getting up regularly to move about.
• Have someone help you clean your incision daily and apply new dressings.
• Wear your garment 24/7 except for dressing changes for the first two weeks and during waking hours after that for another 4 weeks.
• Record the output from the drainage tube (usually not needed) regularly – it is generally removed in 7-10 days.
• At two weeks you can resume some light exercise such as walking, gradually increasing over the next several weeks, avoiding heavy lifting and sit-ups for two to three months.
Recovery from all surgical procedures typically occurs in stages.
The first 3-5 days is always the most difficult with the most intense pain and soreness. During this time period it is absolutely crucial to be up and mobile. Increased walking will not only help the body naturally deal with the pain but it will also decrease the risk of pneumonia and blood clots.
The second week after surgery is typically a sore phase, pain medication is frequently still required at night but you will walking with ease and returning to normal.
The 3rd and 4 th weeks are usually the most frustrating. Although you will continue to feel better and better the activity and lifting restriction will remain in place as it is crucial to allow the muscle plication adequate time to heal.
All activity restrictions will be typically be lifting and you may gradually resume activity as tolerated after 4 weeks.
• The rate of complications for this procedure is very low, but your surgery and recovery will be very closely monitored to prevent any possible problems.
• We want you or your caregiver to contact us with any concerns you may have.
In order to expose the entire length of the rectus abdominus ( 6 pack muscles) for plication during a tummy tuck, all the skin from the pubic bone to the sternum (breast bone) must be elevated or raised off of them.
After sewing the muscles back together there is a large area under the skin that can collect fluid. Traditionally, drains have been left in this space to evacuate the fluid in order for the skin to heal back to the muscles. I use a technique referred to as progressive tension suturing, where the skin is literally sewn back to the muscles, thereby eliminating the dead space. Since there is no longer space for fluid to collect I am able to avoid placing a drain, thus enabling the “drainless tummy tuck”
• Meet with our Surgical Consultants for an initial evaluation as well as scheduling and pricing options.
• Ready to move forward? You’ll then meet with our surgeon for a full consultation and evaluation prior to your surgery date.
If you want to get rid of that loose skin, Beleza Medspa can help. At Beleza MedSpa, we offer abdominoplasty, or tummy tucks, which is an efficient way to flatten your abdomen. We will determine during a pre-operative examinations the best plan for your body shape, walking you through the procedure step-by-step. During the tummy tuck surgery, any excess skin and fat will be removed, revealing the contours of your natural body shape.
We offer free consultations for Tummy Tucks and Liposuction. Call or email now!