Have time, gravity and pregnancy taken a toll on your breasts? Wish you didn’t have to “stuff” your breasts into your bra? Remember when you could wear shirts and dresses without a bra? Maybe you need to consider a Breast Lift at Beleza Medspa.
A breast lift, also called a mastopexy, is a technique where excess skin is removed from a sagging breast, and the breast is lifted and returned to a higher position in the chest. Many women also want to increase the size of their breasts while doing a breast lift by using breast implants. A breast augmentation combined with a breast lift is called a mastopexy/augmentation.
Your breasts are held on the chest wall by a number of ligaments. Time and gravity and most commonly pregnancy cause stretching of these ligaments, resulting the breast ‘falling’ away from the chest. The weight of the breast causes stretching of the skin, and sagging occurs. As an aftereffect of pregnancy, the breast frequently also loses volume, and becomes smaller, which worsens the problem.
The degree of droopiness, which is called ptosis ‘toe-siss’, is measured in different levels. Most patients with ptosis of a Grade 2 or greater usually need some degree of breast lift. Not sure where you are on the scale? Try the “Pencil Test” – stand in front of a mirror with a pencil in the crease under your breast.
• Grade 0 (Normal): The nipple is above the level of the crease under the breast. • Grade I: The nipple is even with the crease under the breast • Grade II: The nipple is below the crease under the breast. • Grade III: The nipple is significantly below the crease and is pointing in a downward direction. • Pseudoptosis: The nipple is above the crease, but breast tissue droops below the crease.
Once we determine the amount of lifting required, the excess skin is removed and the breast is lifted to the proper position and reinforced. At this point, patients who want their breasts larger can have an implant placed and the incisions are closed.
Depending on the degree of ptosis more or fewer incisions may be required.
Incisions are typically in the “anchor” pattern. This is a very common scar location as it allows significant lifting while hiding the scars as much as possible. Although all surgeries leave marks and scars will all go through a 12 month period of remodeling – once completed they typically are acceptable.
There is a color change between the nipple areolar complex and surrounding skin ( hiding the scar in the transition), the lower IMF incision is under the breast and the breast must be lifted to view it – which basically leaves the vertical component as the most visible component.
I also work with my patient during the healing phase of techniques that will help the scars fade as much as possible.
• Yes! Most patients can have additional procedures such as tummy tucks, facial surgery or liposuction during the same procedure.
• Patients in otherwise poor health – poorly controlled diabetes or uncontrolled high blood pressure for example.
• Patients who are severely overweight
• Women planning on having children in the near future.
• Patients who smoke and are unwilling to quit.
• Plan on having someone stay with you full-time after the procedure for the first few days.
• You’ll feel most comfortable in a “recliner” position – back reclined and knees bent.
• Have extra dressings, baby wipes, and loose clothing available.
• You’ll meet with our doctors, anesthesia staff and nurses to answer any remaining questions and help prepare you for the procedure.
• During the surgery you’ll be given an anesthetic and will be completely asleep and pain-free.
• The surgery itself usually takes about an hour depending on the patient.
• When you wake up you’ll be in the recovery area and will be wearing a bra similar to a sports bra as well as other tape and bandages.
• We want you to rest at home for the first few days, getting up regularly to move about.
• You will be seen the day after surgery for initial dressing changes.
• You can shower the after your first office visit.
• You’ll be instructed on how to massage your implants beginning one week after surgery
• Wear your sports bra 24/7 (except for showering) for the first two weeks and during waking hours after that for another 4 weeks.
• At two weeks you can resume some light exercise such as walking, gradually increasing over the next several weeks.
• The rate of complications for this procedure is very low, but your surgery and recovery will be very closely monitored to prevent any possible problems.
• We want you or your caregiver to contact us with any concerns you may have.
• Meet with our Surgical Consultants for an initial evaluation as well as scheduling and pricing options.
• Get a free consultation with plastic surgeon Staci Hix-Hernandez MD, our breast lift specialist.
• Ready to move forward? You’ll then meet with our surgeons for a full consultation and evaluation prior to your surgery date.
At Beleza MedSpa, our board-certified physicians, nurses and staff are committed to the highest levels of care, state-of-the-art technology, and unrivaled patient care and customer support. See what thousands of patients have already experienced – at Beleza MedSpa!
. 512-298-1055" />