Breast Augmentation is probably the most personal of all choices a woman can make about her appearance. There are many reasons a woman may choose breast augmentation:
• Feeling like your breasts are underdeveloped or just too small
• Differences in the size of the breasts
• Changes in the volume or shape of the breast after pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight changes
• Feeling like your breast size just doesn’t fit with the rest of your body.
• Feeling uncomfortable in swimsuits or other tops.
At Beleza MedSpa, Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dave Dellinger believes that your breast surgery should be custom designed around you. We want to achieve a result that you will find accents and enhances your figure. There are many different results that can be achieved, and we’re here to guide and advise you in making the choices that create a result that’s personalized just for you.
There are a number of things to consider:
• Size – What size breasts do you want?
• Shape – the overall 3D contour of the breast
• Implants – Silicone, saline or cohesive gels “Gummy Bear” implants
• Incision choices
• Placement above or below the pectoralis (Pec) muscle
Size: What type of breast size results do you want to achieve? This is probably the most important decision to make. Rather than focus on cup size or numbers of cc’s, we would like to see you choose based on appearance. You will be given the opportunity to try out implants and make the selection based on what you like. We’ll be here to help guide you in the sizing process and you’ll be given the opportunity to try implants out more than once just to be sure.
Shape: Are you looking for breasts that emphasize projection rather than fullness, or are you wanting a fuller breast with more volume and better cleavage? Each size of breast implant is available in a variety of profiles – from low profile, moderate profile, high profile and ultra-high. The higher the profile, the more projection (out) and the smaller the base (width). This means you can achieve a greater degree of projection with a smaller implant but may have less cleavage.
Implants: Most patients choose silicone implants as they provide the best, most natural texture and feel, with the least amount of rippling. Saline filled implants are best for patients who still have worries about silicone, however saline feels the least natural and is more prone to visible rippling. Cohesive gel or “gummy bear” implants are good for certain situations, and may be good choice under the right circumstances.
Incision Choices: Most women choose to have a small incision under the fold of the breast, which best for silicone implants and very well camouflaged in the final result. Other incision choices include peri-areolar (around the edge of the nipple), trans-umbilical (TUBA) or trans-axillary (armpit).
Placement: Most patients choose to have implants placed above the muscle, however in certain situations, a patient may be an acceptable candidate for placement above.
Yes! Most patients can have additional procedures such as tummy tucks, facial surgery or liposuction during the same procedure.
• If your breasts have a significant amounts of droopiness, you may need to combine your augmentation with a breast lift (mastopexy)
• Patients in otherwise poor health – poorly controlled diabetes or uncontrolled high blood pressure for example.
• Patients who are severely overweight
• Women planning on having children in the near future.
• Patients who smoke and are unwilling to quit.
• Plan on having someone stay with you full-time after the procedure for the first few days.
• You’ll feel most comfortable in a “recliner” position – back reclined and knees bent.
• Have extra dressings, baby wipes, and loose clothing available.
• You’ll meet with our doctors, anesthesia staff and nurses to answer any remaining questions and help prepare you for the procedure.
• During the surgery you’ll be given an anesthetic and will be completely asleep and pain-free.
• The surgery itself usually takes about an hour depending on the patient.
• When you wake up you’ll be in the recovery area and will be wearing a bra similar to a sports bra as well as other dressings.
• We want you to rest at home for the first few days, getting up regularly to move about.
• You will be seen the day after surgery for initial dressing changes.
• You can shower the after your first office visit.
• You’ll be instructed on how to massage your implants beginning one week after surgery
• Wear your sports bra 24/7 (except for showering) for the first two weeks and during waking hours after that for another 4 weeks.
• At two weeks you can resume some light exercise such as walking, gradually increasing over the next several weeks.
• The rate of complications for this procedure is very low, but your surgery and recovery will be very closely monitored to prevent any possible problems.
• We want you or your caregiver to contact us with any concerns you may have.
Learn more with our Breast Implants 101 here:
Breast implants are not for everyone. Many women do not want a foreign object in their bodies, are concerned about scars and the need for eventual replacement. Fat transfer, sometimes called Natural Breast Enhancement offers a reasonable alternative to breast implants. Fat is a natural part of breasts, easy to harvest and most of us have some extra! Fat transfer is best for breasts that have some room to contain the fat. The living fat cells need some room to survive in their new home. Breasts that have deflated after weight loss or breastfeeding are ideal. The fat transfer can refill the breasts up to a cup size. It is normal for some of the transferred fat to not take and some volume will be lost. Refills of fat down the road are always possible until desired results are achieved. Fat does not hold its shape like an implant so it cannot change the shape or profile of the breast. Women wanting more than a cup size increase or a change in shape should choose breast implants. Fat transfer also does not replace the need for a breast lift.
More about natural breast augmentation with fat transfer.
• Meet with our Surgical Consultants for an initial evaluation as well as scheduling and pricing options.
• Ready to move forward? You’ll then meet with our plastic surgeons for a full consultation and evaluation prior to your surgery date.